Purpose - Direction - Faith

A single thing worth fighting for

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Female Sailors

I've heard stories. Things people do to help them get through the work day. After all, we don't live in Spain and get a siesta in the middle of the day. Regardless. I deviated from my normal routine of teriyaki chicken and bought a sandwich, coke and newspaper for lunch. And then I walked.

Kind of had this image in my head of a grassy hill overlooking the sound. I mean, I work at Denny and Western, two blocks off Elliot Bay. Well, needless to say, in about ten minutes I found said hill, and said view. And it was marvelous.

In 30 seconds, bare feet were out, my pant legs were rolled up, top two buttons of my shirt undone, and I officially had transformed from work attire to Saturday morning basking in the sun attire. I laid back on my elbows, looked around at the Sculptures surrounding me, smiled, and unfolded my newspaper.

Ten feet down the hill, some guys were strumming and singing some worship songs (how cool is that!) I found myself singing along to "Yes Lord" without even realizing it. Got to chat it up with the guys over a cool convo of trying to remember the words to "Blessed Be Your Name". Nice guys. Pretty inspiring evangelism.

Read some not so great news articles, surprise surprise. Think tomorrow I'll bring my book instead. Luckily i caught an article in the NW Weekend on Sailing in the San Juan islands. Story was on this tall ship called the Zodiac that was taking women out for three day excursions to learn how to sail. Kind of wish I was a girl.

Why do I mention all of this? Simple. Its memorable. A means to enjoy and take advantage of something otherwise uneventful and dull. Work is a wonderful place…to work. Not to live. Sometimes we need that siesta in the middle of the day, to remember that we only work at work. Life was outside today, among female sailors, tall works of art, and passionate talented Christians. Not to mention a sandwich with a little too much ketchup :)

1 comment:

  1. I do enjoy the thoughts that come from your mind.. you are a gifted man lil bro, gifted in deed.. Keep expressing the life that is in you. Its impacting others in ways you may never be made aware of! God's expression of Love through you will always be comunicated in a unique fashion!

    ReplyDelete