Purpose - Direction - Faith

A single thing worth fighting for

Thursday, December 23, 2010

2010 - Something(s) to remember

Its been a while since I've written in this blog. I would imagine this just reinforces that paradigm that blogging is a state of mind, and that one only blogs for specific purposes relevant to the season of life they are in. Regardless of reasoning, as i feel is a constant theme in my life, blogging and indeed the events of 2010 have transpired quite wonderfully. Being used by God to teach me in one way or another equivocally for my benefit. And as 2011 rises on the horizon its with better judgment that i feel the need to reflect on the year, and document those lessons and events which have shaped and continue to shape me, according to God's purpose for my life.

So, in authentic fashion, i'll take a moment to spill out in one attempt words that capture 2010 in my life.

The year started with good friends and good community, much as it is ending. Although the cast is different it in no way undermines the impact each has had on me. January was cold, filled with my first trip to Whistler and first attempt at skiing. I was hitting the gym and swimming in an overly chlorine filled pool. My spirit was adrift in this careless prideful desire to make my life worth something. I read the book called the "Futureist" a biography on the life and times of James Cameron. I was lost somewhere in Pandora and filled my mind with visions of greatness and successful, or fame and fortune. It was in this spirit that i lost sight of my life. I wandered admist the dreamers of Hollywood and couldn't see my own two feet.

February brought me back down to the ground. Riding the wave of regular trips to China for work, my body suffered. The bags under my eyes proved it. I edited fun videos of China, friends, and Disney movie sing-a-longs that will remain unnamed. I repp'd the American flag in Vancouver BC and met a very wonderful person. According to my nature, I miss-understood the purpose of this person in my life and this took me through March. Spring was knocking on the door and cherry blossoms were blooming. I was being exposed to the beautiful of the world seem through an artistic eye, preferably the lens of a Canon MkII.

April brought somber reality. One could say the April showers hit. I sat, metaphorically speaking of course, in the rain waiting for someone to tell me it wasn't raining. Life seemed to be crashing down in all areas. I was learning the lesson of patience, but was enacting it in the wrong area of life. As May knocked on the door, patience seemed to be painful as I realized my Ironman race was weeks away. With one last trip to China this month, along with a feeble attempt to use Chinese workout equipment I knew i was NOT ready for this.

June brought the sun. I picked up a friends camera, and thanks to some inspiration from a very wonderful person. I brought it to a friends wedding. My friends were slowly leaving me for better "roommates" indeed the best kind. With one last hurrah, what I called "Hell week" i tried to get ready for the race. I finished out the month with the race, by far the most difficult experience of my life. But more importantly a great life experience to quality the term perseverance.

July was hott. Yes with two T's. People getting married, videography starting to take off. Who knew i could make something that brought people to tears? So fullfilling. A great life? Life of greatness? Seattle's the new Hollywood anyways. Spent the fourth among friends, fireworks and a great view. Community was changing, but not for better or worse.

August was about committment. A trying period of time. I partnered with Phil to read the bible in a year. It was a long deep conversation in his, newly waxed, truck. After a few more weddings I realized i had something going. Finishing the month with a trip to Alaska and a, in all respects straight up appreciation and fascination with the last frontier. I'll be back (i think in May).

September was trying. It started with the first of many trips to China. Consequently missing out on the Fall in Seattle. Major bummer. I caught up on editing, learned some more chinese and passed out snickers, coke, and cookies to a factory full of Chinese girls. Life's little pleasures. My house filled with new guys. They kind of bonded without me while i was gone, solid guys none the less. The house was starting off on a good foot, Christ center'd and intentional.

October was a big reminder. I turned 25. Some would say old. Yeah. I flew back from China on my birthday, first ever 36hr birthday. Quite fun, minus the 18hours of travel. Celebrated in Ballard, will never have a rum and coke again now. Added a few more notches to the filming belt. Holloween was nice, aside from the 6am flight to China. Oh and I dressed up as a double rainbow. Very difficult to maneuver on the dancefloor.

November was a month of revelation. From people in my life, what purposes they really play. How remarkably blessed I really am. A clear sense of direction. God showed up alot in November, filling in those "what the heck is going on" times. Often sitting me down in the living room and, over a crackling fire, speaking through my roommate on just how I have it wrong with my life, or at least how I perceived it. I know this, but as I get older in life, I will see November 2010 as an important month. Alot of my life feel into their places, really the spring ending.

December brought Joy. So much to be thankful for. Loving family, a niece on the way, amazing community, great friends, convicting holy spirit, beautiful God. I went to NY, dressed as a Santa among others, I tried new things, stepped out. I prayed. I danced. I cared.

So here I am. Still living one year later. I'm still me, but not. Still learning, but have learned so much. I'm not day dreaming in Pandora, but I am video editing. My heads not in California, or stuck on some girl. Its on my Lord and creator, and the things he puts in my life. Its remarkable. Even now, after just writing this. Remember who i was, how i felt, through each of the last twelve months, i can see His hand. Its holding my head. Caring for me.

Thank you so much for walking me through the pain, the joy, and the life that happens inbetween. Thanks for 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment